replacement kitchen cupboard hinges
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simon1973
Labourer
Labourer

replacement kitchen cupboard hinges

by simon1973 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:56 am

We have kitchen cupboard doors set in frames which are hinged with the concealed hinges (26mm/110 degrees I think) that are commonly found. However because the doors are set in frames the part of the hinge which is mounted on the inside of the unit has a metal spacer attached to it to bring the hinge out level with the edge of the frame.

Unfortunately one of the hinges has snapped but I have found it impossible so far to source a replacement hinge with spacer - all DIY shops and websites I have visited just have the standard hinges for a flush fitting door with no frame.

Any ideas where I could find a replacement?! The kitchen was installed by the previous owners of the house so I have no idea where it came from otherwise I could go back to the manufacturers. There must be a number of kitchen manufacturers making framed door units so I should have thought that there would be some demand for this sort of replacement hinge.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi. I know what you are talking about, but I haven't seen them for years. I think the basic issue is that some manufacturer somewhere came up with a jim-crack solution to a non-problem. Basically if you are going to flush mount cupboard doors, you use a flush mount hinge. You wouldn't try to turn a concealed lay-on hinge into a flush mount with the aid of a whacking great spacer. Basically you end up with worst of all worlds manufacturing-wise.

You should be able to make your own spacer. You can but the hole cutters from many online sources. Than it is just a matter of sourcing a pit of wood of the right thickness (it shouldn't have to be exact), cutting the hole and fixing it in place.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:46 am