DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Replacement new mixer shower and advice on system type

Postby Down the Lane » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:56 am

I need to replace the mixer shower in the bathroom which has stopped working and is quite old. There are no identification marks on it to tell the make and model. I have done some investigation on the pipework and want some advice on the kind of mixer to get.
So, the cold is attached directly to the mains (15mm) although it does seem to have a flow/pressure reduction valve which can be changed up or down.
The hot comes from the hot water tank. (22mm reduced to 15mm at some point).
Is this system low pressure / high pressure / it’s a miracle it ever worked at all rip it all out!
Down the Lane
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:40 am


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:28 pm

Hi down the lane,
Suggest you go for a surface mounted thermostatic bar type mixer with pipe centres at 150mm, this will make replacement in the future easy. Most will have the cold supply on the right. Make sure you have an adjustable pressure reducer (not flow reducer) on the cold supply.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics