Replacing a boiler controller with a new wireless thermostat - help needed
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GrumpyMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing a boiler controller with a new wireless thermostat - help needed

by GrumpyMike » Sat May 16, 2015 9:55 am

Hi,

I have a traditional Potterton gas boiler (kingfisher II) with gravity fed hot water and pumped radiators. It's controlled by a Randall 30 60 timeswitch and a hard-wired radiator thermostat in the hall.

I'd like to upgrade the controller and (if possible) upgrade to a wireless thermostat.

There seem to be plenty of options for a replacing the controller alone, for example this drayton one....
http://www.diy.com/departments/drayton-25474bq-electronic-programmer/191335_BQ.prd

And there seem to be plenty of options for wireless thermostats for modern full-pumped system and combi boilers.

But I'm having trouble finding a controller that will work on a gravity system, and works with a wireless thermostat.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

P.S. Just to make it clear, I'm not looking to make any changes to the boiler, pump, or any of the plumbing - just the controller and thermostat. Thanks

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Replacing a boiler controller with a new wireless thermostat - help needed

by proptech » Sat May 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi GrumpyMike
I would suggest that the reason for the lack of products is simply due to there being very few gravity systems in use these days. Having said that, it's quite possible to find a few that will do the job. I just wonder if it's really worth doing. The 30/60 was a very good programmer, although a bit large,and most of the older style room stats (provided correctly wired) can be more accurate than is commonly believed.

GrumpyMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

by GrumpyMike » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:47 am

most of the older style room stats (provided correctly wired) can be more accurate than is commonly believed.

Thanks, but the reason behind looking for a wireless thermostat wasn't anything to do with thinking it might be more accurate, but I liked the idea of being able to move it from room to room.

I work from home and spend 10 hours a day in my office, so it makes more sense to be able to move the thermostat here, rather than having it hard-wired to the hall.

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm

GrumpyMike wrote:And there seem to be plenty of options for wireless thermostats for modern full-pumped system and combi boilers.

There is no difference between a thermostat used to control a gravity system and one to control a combi boiler.

What might be different is that most installations nowadays use a programmable thermostat which allows the temperature to be varied at different times of the day. A standard thermostat or a programmable thermostat can be used with either system.

For a standard thermostat, what about http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-digistat-rf-room-thermostat/73146

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1