Replacing a ligth fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rcully
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing a ligth fitting

by rcully » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:06 pm

I am trying to replace a bedroom light, upon removing the old light there were 4 separate cables, 2 grey insullated cables each with a red,black & earth wire. There was also 2 white cables 1 with 2 red wires and 1 earth wire and then a very narrow cable with a blue and brown wire only. On the new light fitting there was a blue set of wires and a black set of wires with 1 brown wire. Upon installing the fitting I matched 2 black cables & 1 of the red cables into one connection with the black wires from the new light fitting. Then I matched the remaining 3 red wires into 1 connection. I cut off the thin cable with the brown & blue wire as this seemed like more of a light fitting. When I now turn the power on the light remains permanently on regardless of switching the light switch on and off.

Can anyone help?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:37 pm

I can't follow exactly what you have done but I would guess you have connected to loop (Normally red or brown) instead of switch (Normally black or blue with red or brown sleeve). There are a few good pictures in the projects section and circuit diag http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Images5/LIGHTS.JPG does that help. If you look at lamp X1 you can see how the "Loop" wires go in and out of rose without connecting to the lamp it's self.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:41 pm