Replacing a PIR controlled spotlight
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
southcliff
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing a PIR controlled spotlight

by southcliff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Ihave a PIR controlled spotlight which is controlled by a switch in the hall. Switch the switch one way and the light is permenantly on, flip it the other way and the light is switched on by the PIR. I want to replace it with a dusk till dawn light, this light has three terminals - live neutral and earth unfortunately the PIR has four wires going into it and i dont know what to do with them. Any suggestions?

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:22 pm

Apart from the N and E

Sounds like you have a switched live (No 1 red) from the load side of the switch to the,output of the sensor on the pir,same connection as the lampholder
This when switched on leaves the lamp on 24hours,

I would try Leaving this one SAFELY isolated

The other ( No 2 red ) is permenently live from the switch this is connected to the live input of the pir
When the switch is off , this runs the light via its sensor

I would use this as the live to the new light,the new light will then work on its own sensor, irrespective of the switch position.

The switch overide facility would NOT be wired in though,

If you want that (No 1 red ) would have to be connected to the output of the light sensor before the lampholder ,within the actual fitting if thats possible

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 pm