Replacing a single pendant light with downlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jon A
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing a single pendant light with downlights

by Jon A » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Novice, but keep DIYer looking for some help!

I want to replace one main ceiling pendant light with up to nine mains voltage downlights operating from the existing one light switch.

How do I go about doing this?

Can I connect the existing wiring to a junction box and then run a wire from each terminal of the junction box to the new downlights? If I am looking to install nine downlights will I need to use two junction boxes? If so, do I have the existing wiring entering one junction box and then wiring this from one of the terminals to another junction box, or is it possible to get one junction box with sufficient terminals. What type of junction box would I require 5A or more?

Confused and grateful for any assistance!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Replacing a single pendant light with downlights

by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:33 pm

[quote="Jon A"]Novice, but keep DIYer looking for some help!

I want to replace one main ceiling pendant light with up to nine mains voltage downlights operating from the existing one light switch.

How do I go about doing this?

Can I connect the existing wiring to a junction box and then run a wire from each terminal of the junction box to the new downlights? If I am looking to install nine downlights will I need to use two junction boxes? If so, do I have the existing wiring entering one junction box and then wiring this from one of the terminals to another junction box, or is it possible to get one junction box with sufficient terminals. What type of junction box would I require 5A or more?

Confused and grateful for any assistance![/quote]

JON A
SEE PART P DOC S PROJECTS.
IF THIS LIGHTING IS TO B INSTALLED IN A BATHROOM OR
KITCHEN THEN IT IS IS NOTIFIABLE WORK.
U WOULD BE ALLOWED TO ADD A LIGHT ANYWHERE ELSE
BUT IN THIS CASE AS I INTERPRET U WANT TO INSTALL
9 DOWNLIGHTS .
BECAUSE OF NEW LOADING , EXTRA CABLE INSTALLATION ,
AND ALTERATION OF EXISTING CIRCUIT, POSSIBLY AFFECTING
DESIGN OF PROTECTIVE DEVICE , THIS IS ALSO NOTIFIABLE
WORK. U WOULD NEED TO GET A PART P REGISTERED SPARKY
IN 2 DO THE WORK.
BLAKEY1963

Jon A
Labourer
Labourer

by Jon A » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Blakey - thanks for your reply. Not that I am loathe to part with some money for an electrician to come out to do the job - but I am having difficulty finding someone to come and do the work, on the basis that it is a small job. What if I was to reduce the number of lights to say 6 would this still cause problems? The work is in a bedroom - so presume this isn't notifiable. What would be the maximum number of downlights you could swap with the pendant light without causing issues? Modern house, built 2005 so I would presume circuits etc are pretty up to date.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 pm

[quote="Jon A"]Blakey - thanks for your reply. Not that I am loathe to part with some money for an electrician to come out to do the job - but I am having difficulty finding someone to come and do the work, on the basis that it is a small job. What if I was to reduce the number of lights to say 6 would this still cause problems? The work is in a bedroom - so presume this isn't notifiable. What would be the maximum number of downlights you could swap with the pendant light without causing issues? Modern house, built 2005 so I would presume circuits etc are pretty up to date.[/quote]

JON A
U R RIGHT DOC S PART P CONFIRMS U COULD ADD AN ADDITIONAL LIGHT.
BUT U WANT TO ADD SEVERAL LIGHTS , I APPRECIATE U HAVE REDUCED NUMBER 2 , SIX LIGHTS.
U WOULD BE EXTENDING LIGHTING CIRCUIT, ALTERING THE DESIGN
OF EXISTING CIRCUIT. AN ALTERATION WOULD NEED A MINOR WORKS
CERTIFICATE TO RECORD CHANGES TO CIRCUIT. DIFFERENT LOADS
IN THIS INCREASED , EARTH LOOP IMPEADANCES ALTERING AND AFFECTING THE READING REQUIRED FOR YOUR PROTECTIVE DEVICE
OPERATING CORRECTLY UNDER FAULT CONDITIONS.
CAN YOUR EXISTING WIRING COPE WITH ADDITIONAL LOAD THAT U
WILL B ADDING ON TO IT. THIS IS WHY U WOULD BE WISE TO GET AN
ELECTRICIAN TO HELP U ON THIS.
I DO APRECIATE U COULD DO THIS YOUR SLEF WITH JB S AND CABLE
BUT THINK IT BEST U GET IN YOUR ELECTRICIAN.
BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 am