DIY Doctor

Replacing a uPVC Front Door With Composite and Removing Internal Frame

Postby WillC28 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice on the following.

We are looking to replace our uPVC front door, ideally with a composite one. Main issue we have is that we live in a mid-terrace with no hallway, so the front door opens out into the main living area and we have just laid down LVT flooring, which runs to the front door and is adjoined to the internal frame by silicone as you can see in the pic.

Would it be possible for the internal frame to be removed, for a new one to be put in for a composite door, without having the LVT ripped up? Or is there going to be inevitable damage? Also, would it be less problematic if we just replaced this uPVC door with another of the same style, maybe maintaining part of the internal frame? Unsure if this even possible?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_4227.JPG
Front door from inside
IMG_4226.JPG
LVT and internal frame
WillC28
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
50%
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm


Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:34 pm

Why do you want to replace the door frame?

Although it looks in need of a little TLC it doesn't look to be in bad structural condition. You may be able to just replace the door itself.
Sometimewoodworker
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
7.3%
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 pm


Postby WillC28 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Why do you want to replace the door frame?

Although it looks in need of a little TLC it doesn't look to be in bad structural condition. You may be able to just replace the door itself.


Hi - thanks very much for replying to this!

Ideally we'd like not to change the frame, but was assuming it'd be necessary especially if we wanted to get rid of our uPVC door and get a composite or wooden one put in. Would it possible to keep this frame and change just the door?
WillC28
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
50%
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm


Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 am

WillC28 wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Why do you want to replace the door frame?

Although it looks in need of a little TLC it doesn't look to be in bad structural condition. You may be able to just replace the door itself.


Hi - thanks very much for replying to this!

Ideally we'd like not to change the frame, but was assuming it'd be necessary especially if we wanted to get rid of our uPVC door and get a composite or wooden one put in. Would it possible to keep this frame and change just the door?

Impossible to say from the pictures. It depends on the design of the door frame and the door you want to install, but in principle door frames do not need changing.

It will also depend on the material of the frame as to if it can be modified if needed.
Sometimewoodworker
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
7.3%
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 pm


Postby WillC28 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:10 am

Thanks, that's really helpful!

Incidentally, you said the frame needs a little TLC which I was hoping to do something about as it got damaged during redecorating and on the right there is a crack in it caused by the carpenter when he was building a new meter cupboard - would you be able to recommend any course of action to fix this and make it look better overall?

Thanks.
WillC28
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
50%
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm


Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:45 am

WillC28 wrote:Thanks, that's really helpful!

Incidentally, you said the frame needs a little TLC which I was hoping to do something about as it got damaged during redecorating and on the right there is a crack in it caused by the carpenter when he was building a new meter cupboard - would you be able to recommend any course of action to fix this and make it look better overall?

Thanks.

As I mentioned the picture quality is not good enough to do anything other than get an overview, it is also not clear what material the frame is made of.

However a good material to make repairs in most materials is 3M Bondo 261 Lightweight Car Body Filler, or another high quality car body filler. Just don't buy cheap stuff and expect that it is going to do the job.

Think of the thousand or so pounds you are going to save not replacing and repainting, not the couple of extra pounds on the quality body filler.
Sometimewoodworker
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
7.3%
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 pm



Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by



  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!


 
  • Related Topics