DIY Doctor

Replacing an old Light-Switching Sensor for External Light

Postby regmay » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi there, I'm replacing an old dilapidated sensor for switching lights on at the side of my house and was intending to do a like-for-like rewire. There's a single cable running to the sensor - I believe it's called Multi Core Circular ( 4 core - Brown, Black, Blue, Yellow/Green). The wiring is as follows:-

SENSOR CABLE
Brown Brown
Red Blue
Blue Black and Yellow/Green

What's thrown me is that the Yellow/Green wire (in the cable) which I associate with Earthing is wired with the Black to the Blue in the sensor. Would really appreciate opinion on whether this is correct and safe.
regmay
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm

It is not the normal thing to do, and as such could easily be mistaken for what it appears to be, earth.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
5.6%

Postby regmay » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 am

That's what I thought. Any idea why it's been wired like this ?
regmay
Progress to next rank:
75%

Postby Mr White » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 pm

For the definitive answer to that you would have to ask the person who wired it, but since that is not going to happen, all anyone can do is to speculate but in this instance, it would be a waste of time since we can never know the actual answer.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
5.6%

Postby regmay » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks for replying.
regmay
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!