DIY Doctor

Replacing Attic Skylight Glazing Unit That Leaks

Postby MrMartinJKelly » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me out with a query (or point me to another thread).

Context is: my attic contains a skylight connected to a light well. Below the light well is a double glazed unit which sits above the main hallway. The current skylight is made of a single sheet of plastic and dates from 1968. It seems to have had a very small leak for several years and is at the end of its life after several repairs by roofers.

I am looking to replace the skylight. I feel competent enough to do this job myself and have tradesmen I can call on if I get stuck. Looking online for replacements skylights they seem to start around £100 but are advertised as suitable for "uninhabited rooms". Given the house was built with a single plastic sheet originally and we have a double glazed unit below I feel these units will be suitable as I do not need the skylight to be insulated, only waterproof. I was wondering if anyone either has experience fitting these types of units in residential properties or had any thoughts on anything else I need to consider other that what I've stated above?

If this question has been asked before apologies, I could not find this but am unfamiliar with the correct terms.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:22 pm


Simply Build It

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics