Replacing Attic Skylight Glazing Unit That Leaks
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

MrMartinJKelly
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Attic Skylight Glazing Unit That Leaks

by MrMartinJKelly » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me out with a query (or point me to another thread).

Context is: my attic contains a skylight connected to a light well. Below the light well is a double glazed unit which sits above the main hallway. The current skylight is made of a single sheet of plastic and dates from 1968. It seems to have had a very small leak for several years and is at the end of its life after several repairs by roofers.

I am looking to replace the skylight. I feel competent enough to do this job myself and have tradesmen I can call on if I get stuck. Looking online for replacements skylights they seem to start around £100 but are advertised as suitable for "uninhabited rooms". Given the house was built with a single plastic sheet originally and we have a double glazed unit below I feel these units will be suitable as I do not need the skylight to be insulated, only waterproof. I was wondering if anyone either has experience fitting these types of units in residential properties or had any thoughts on anything else I need to consider other that what I've stated above?

If this question has been asked before apologies, I could not find this but am unfamiliar with the correct terms.

Thanks

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 am