Replacing Automated Cupboard Light into an old Circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tobprice
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Automated Cupboard Light into an old Circuit

by Tobprice » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:14 pm

I have to replace a cupboard light on an old circuit that is on an automated switch (light comes on inside when you open the door) however I have three separate white cables each with one black wire and one red wire. In addition, two of the white cables have an earth wire as well. I am unsure how to connect this to the new light fitting. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Automated Cupboard Light into an old Circuit

by ericmark » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:12 am

Too vague to really help with wiring. However today LED lamps do not give out the heat of the old lamps, so a lamp sticking on is not likely to cause the fire or use excess power which was the worry years ago.

In fact no longer do you need door switches, I note Screwfix do a PIR for £2.79 as you open the door the heat from your body switches on the light. So even if you forget to shut the cupboard door the light will still go off.

In fact I think I will get some for my display cabinets seems far better if only on when some one is in the room.

Since most of the furniture is Ikea most of the lights are also Ikea which is a pain as Ikea is good with furniture but rotten with electrics. I have a few magnetic LED lamps battery powered from Lidi and surprised how long the batteries last. With LED is it really worth the effort wiring up furniture lights?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 pm