replacing boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikehillary
Labourer
Labourer

replacing boiler

by mikehillary » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:37 pm

I have a boiler that heats water and central heating, it's about 30 years old.
we have ahot water tank upstairs. but would like to change to a combi boiler how easy is it and how much should it cost? :roll:

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

replacing boiler

by Perry525 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:55 pm

Perhaps you will explain the reason for this desire?
If its to save money? Then divide the cost of a therm of gas into the anticipated cost of your project and see how many years it will take to recover your money.
Your boiler may be old but, it works, it may use slightly more gas than a modern boiler but, the figures quoted for modern boilers only apply for a sort period from cold start. Once the house reaches operating temperature the difference disappears.
At the moment, you may well be able to run the taps in several rooms at once, once you change over, you quickly run out of water, have a shower, someone turns on the tap in the kitchen, the shower runs dry.
If you can think of a good reason, then at least keep the same system and just change to a modern boiler. You won't regret it.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:06 am

I changed to combi type boiler and wish now I had old system. Can't use power shower with combi boiler. Also hot water at mains pressure splashing cold water is one thing hot water is different. To fill a bath takes an age. I will admit mine is a very old system and when we put it in around 1981 never heard of a power shower but we put it in to convert old airing cupboard into bedroom. Now an office so we did benefit from change. but consider what Perry525 has said as it is very true.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1