Replacing ceiling rose with track lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Orangutang
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing ceiling rose with track lighting

by Orangutang » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi,

I am replacing the ceiling rose in the kitchen - last rose on a loop-in system - with track lighting.

The track lighting has the plastic block with connections for live, earth and neutral.

Everything seems straight forward (?):

1) run the black neutral wire from circuit cable to neutral block in track.
2) run the green earth wires from circuit and switch cables to earth block in track.
3) run the black switch wire from switch cable to the live block in track.

So I am left with 2 live wires, one from each of the circuit and switch cables. I assume these need to be connected together, that's all? Instead of fitting a junction box for all the above (as it is difficult to get up into the ceiling), can I just just use a small cable connecter of some sort to run these 2 red wires into? What do these look like?

I am looking for the easiest and simplest solution and am hoping this is it. Especially seeing as the track lighting is very narrow and not much space is there for large connecting pieces.

Thanks.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Replacing ceiling rose with track lighting

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:56 pm

[quote="Orangutang"]Hi,

I am replacing the ceiling rose in the kitchen - last rose on a loop-in system - with track lighting.

The track lighting has the plastic block with connections for live, earth and neutral.

Everything seems straight forward (?):

1) run the black neutral wire from circuit cable to neutral block in track.
2) run the green earth wires from circuit and switch cables to earth block in track.
3) run the black switch wire from switch cable to the live block in track.

So I am left with 2 live wires, one from each of the circuit and switch cables. I assume these need to be connected together, that's all? Instead of fitting a junction box for all the above (as it is difficult to get up into the ceiling), can I just just use a small cable connecter of some sort to run these 2 red wires into? What do these look like?

I am looking for the easiest and simplest solution and am hoping this is it. Especially seeing as the track lighting is very narrow and not much space is there for large connecting pieces.

Thanks.[/quote]

ORANGUTANG
SEE DOC S LIGHTING PROJECTS
BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi, you can get very small 5Amp block connector in strips of 10 almost anywhere you only need recess ceiling slightly behind track light to 'lose' one with as you say your 2 reds, which are live in & live down to sw. so don't connect to tracklight terms.
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm