Replacing dimmer switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Replacing dimmer switch

by greengrass » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:02 am

The existing dimmer has died and the casing is around 1/2inch making it like a flush fit. Couldn't find the same ype of dimmer only surface fit needless to say the opening is not deep enough to accomodate the new switch as a flush fit.
Are there spacer plates for this purpose as I've asked in the DIY stores ending with blank looks even showing what I mean to achieve.

My thoughts for what good they are.
An alterantive is to remove part of the back of a surface light patteress box to accomodate the dimmer unit and remove the screw furrels so the switch securing screw pass through into the metall pattress screw lugs, or make a spacer from cladding PVC. what do you think?
1. Spacers are available
2. Remove rear of a plastic surface pattress to allow dimmer unit to pass through.
3. Make a spacer from cladding PVC.[softer plastic]
4.Lastly.......Don't be such an idle bastard and cut the hole deeper. Not easy the bricks are bloody hard.

IF you've come back to look ! [b]Many thanks Sparx will do same I have a dremel so should make it easy to cut out. Greengrass.[/b]
Last edited by greengrass on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:52 pm

hi, know the problem well!
used to be able to get spacers but not seen single ones for a while.
just restocked with some cooker units and each had a spacer with it, unfortunately double plate size.
I have cut centre from surface patress and drilled through mounting holes recently myself using a rotozip/dremel saw to get round same problem,
seemed the best option.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:53 pm