Replacing drill chuck with worn screw..possible?
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cambridgediy76
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing drill chuck with worn screw..possible?

by cambridgediy76 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 am

Morning all,

I need to replace the keyless drill chuck but the screw inside to release it has been worn beyond all recognition so there's no chance of loosening it. Is there anyway to replace it or do I have to accept it's time to buy a new drill?

Appreciate your help, thank you

mitch321
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacing drill chuck with worn screw..possible?

by mitch321 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 pm

This is something i've come across before and eventually i resorted to taking the tool into a local power tool repair shop for it to be fixed. I did however ask them how they removed the damaged retaining screw.

My drill was a cordless model fitted with a keyless chuck. The staff told me that their fitter had first inserted a large allen key into the chuck, they then tightened the chuck onto the allen key as if it was a drill bit, the chuck (with the key still inside) was then clamped into an engineering metal working vice.

They clamped the "rear" part of the chuck in the vice - not all of it. The fitter then struck the end of the allen key hard with a soft plastic faced mallet, after several goes this sheared the head of the retaining screw off. They then extracted the remaining portion of the screw with a mole type wrench and the chuck was unscrewed off the drills spindle.

One new chuck and a new retaining screw later - and i was sorted.

I hope this helps?

cambridgediy76
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacing drill chuck with worn screw..possible?

by cambridgediy76 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm

This sounds promising mitch123, thanks for the useful tip, I'll give it a try!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 pm