Replacing Electric Shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gumby_man
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Electric Shower

Post by gumby_man » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:17 am

Our 5 year old? 10.8kW Electric shower decided to die this week. I have bought a replacement 10.8kW shower and have a few questions regarding its installation.

Background:
The original 10.8kW shower was fitted in 2002/2003 when we had our bathroom replaced. We had a new circuit installed for it as we did not previously have an electric shower.

1) Am I allowed to replace the old shower with the new myself or will I be breaking "Part P" of the Building Regulations?

If am not allowed then end of questions, time for a phone call.

However if I can replace it myself I shall continue...

The circuit installed for our shower is as expected -almost: 10mm cable, 30mA RCD and the confusing part a 40A fuse. I found the original install requirements for the old shower and everything checks out except the 40A fuse, the installation manual indicated a 45A fuse should have been installed for the 10.8kW shower model. The new shower also wants a 45A fuse to be present.

2) Will the new shower be able to work with this fuse too?

3) What is the worst that can happen? I connect everything up as per instructions, turn the shower on and the fuse trips. Time for the original phone call...

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give me.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:26 pm

There is a link to Part P in projects where you can read for yourself. Bathroom is considered special location but page 8 says replacement is generally not notifiable even if carried out in special location. As to if you feel you can do this with the skills you have is not something I can answer. I hate that generally what is wrong with yes or no I don't know? which is why I can't say yes or no but I know what I would do!
As to 40 amp fuse there is a time curve and unless you take hour long showers it should be OK. If it was a trip then they act faster but worse that can happen is it will trip.

gumby_man
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gumby_man » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for your help.

I am fairly confident with my DIY skills. Before Part P came in I was happy to tackle most DIY electrical work myself with a bit of research into the specific requirements for each job.

When I said 40A fuse I actually meant a 40A mcb.

I just don't want to be breaking any regulations by replacing the shower myself.

Am I right in thinking that if once fitted the 40A mcb keeps tripping (sounds like that will be quite possible) then I would need to get an electrician to replace the 40A mcb with an 45A mcb as that would be considered a consumer unit replacement, therefore, notifiable.

Thanks Again.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Gray area I would not be happy telling anyone to go into consumer unit. But I would not think you will have any problems anyway.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:47 am