replacing elson tank for new direct cylinder?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisroberts
Apprentice
Apprentice

replacing elson tank for new direct cylinder?

by chrisroberts » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi there, i have an elson tank in the loft of my bungalow that supplies hot water to the kitchen and bathroom. radiators are electric so thankfully i need not worry about the heating.

my immersion element has gone in the elson tank, ive tried all ways to get the element out and its not budging. soooooo i was thinking of replacing the tank with a 117ltr direct cylinder, mounting it in the loft where the tank is and fitting a cold water feed and expansion tank up on the gable about 3ft above the cylinder. is this the right thing to do?

am i right in saying

The cold water f and e tank will be 15mm mains fed and 22mm outlet to supply bottom of cylinder with a wheel valve inline?

Is it just a case of connecting the old draw off to the top of the new cylinder and t-ing off a vent to the f and e tank?

Ive looked at a direct cylinder and there are 5 holes. from what i know the top one is the hot draw off, the large top one is for the immersion, the middle one is to be blanked off, there is 2 on the bottom, 1 for drain cock and the other for the tank fed cold. is this correct?

Is there anything else i need to think about before i tackle this job?

Any help much appreciated
Thanks Chris.

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm

You should get a cylinder with 3 holes in it.

Bottom one is for the cold water coming in, one for the element and one for the flow of hot water.

15mm cold feed into CWST, 22mm feeds into bottom of hot water cylinder, heated by element with hot water then pushing out of the top (remember to tee off using 22 x 22 x 15 for overflow back upto CWST)

This should help you:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Co ... ystems.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:52 pm