Replacing External Electrical Meter Box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bremhillbob
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing External Electrical Meter Box

by bremhillbob » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi all,
I have an older property and the electricity meter box is a big white plastic box. Provided I don't move the meter or main fuse etc can I replace the box with a nicer wooden one? My thought is to cut off the old plastic, and slide a custom wooden box over the top.
So far all I can see is that it should be lockable and 400 wide by 600 high is the minimum recommendation but, so far, it seems that as long as it holds everything it's fine.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing External Electrical Meter Box

by Mr White » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Any meter box has to comply with the following

ESI standard 12-3 April, 1986,
Is Fire retardant to BS 476, Part. 7, 1997, Class 2

Your proposal would not comply with anything.

bremhillbob
Labourer
Labourer

by bremhillbob » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks Mr White. Great reply and helpful. Didn't know of this spec. With your help I've found this link:
https://www.westernpower.co.uk/download ... loads/3235

This details what one company is saying. I guess my question is really about "is it essential?". If I went ahead and did it my way would I be breaking any laws or setting myself up to problems?

I know that there are some strange 'laws' kicking around - especially to do with electrical work (don't get me started on the need to 'earth' plastic water pipe).

My root problem is that the cabinet is a tad too wide. I want to create a doorway and the meter box is so close that I can't get an effective pillar to support the door lintel. The box only contains the meter and fuse so could be 300mm wide and that would allow me to build the column. If I want to move the box then accourding to the distribution company it'll cost £1000 and can't be done before end of January (I've had the quote)

bremhillbob
Labourer
Labourer

by bremhillbob » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 am

I also note that there are slimline boxes but I think that retrofitting one of these will still involve disconnecting the mains supply and refitting the meter. I can't find a way to replace the existing meter box without calling in the distribution network

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:37 am