Replacing Floor Boards in Bathroom With new - Whats the Best Method?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Alex4
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Floor Boards in Bathroom With new - Whats the Best Method?

by Alex4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:08 am

Floor boards

Hello all,

I am new to these forums and quite new to DIY, well, DIY in the sense of major projects. We have moved into a big, old house, that needs lots of work. My wife and I are up for getting stuck into projects around the house, and one on my radar currently is the state of our bathroom.

I want exposed floorboards in my bathroom – the existing boards may not be saveable (I’ll post up some pics in the next few days), so I was hoping to get advice on how best to replace the boards with new, smart floor boards.

Is it a relatively easy process? Has anyone done this? Is there any guidance online?

I should say that I am looking to avoid laminate boards if possible. Is this nuts?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks all...

Alex

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Floor Boards in Bathroom With new - Whats the Best Method?

by welsh brickie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 am

yes you can replace them, I suggest using a good quality timber, like oak flooring, when fixing them down I would hire a floor nail machine that nails the boards at an angle so that the fixings are hidden it gives a better finish

decking
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacing Floor Boards in Bathroom With new - Whats the Best Method?

by decking » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Oak flooring can and will be expensive. Neither would I use steel nails as these will rust in time and stain the expensive boards.
Starting at one side of the room ( which you could clear to make life simple),
Lift 2 or 3 of the old boards. Replace with redwood Tonge and groove boards. To help prevent warping, treat the underside with a single coat of whatever the finished surface will be.ie painted finish, a single coat of undercoat.
Then when you have laid a couple of boards, remove more of the old flooring. Work your way right across the room. Use galvanised nails to secure. Drive the heads below the surface, fill and add your finish.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 pm