Replacing Floor Tile Grout with out Damaging Underfloor Heating
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CaptainChops
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Floor Tile Grout with out Damaging Underfloor Heating

by CaptainChops » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice on repairing my floor. When we moved into the house there was a tile floor in the kitchen dining room over an ifra red under floor heating system.

It appears that the kitchen (which is an extension) has a concrete floor and the old dining room has a wood floor, this is the source of the problem. There is a small degree of movement in some of the tiles and I think they have used a standard rather than flexible grout, this is causing the grout to crack and come out.

I have attached an image of the floor below.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem without damaging the under floor heating? Could the grout between tiles be dug out and replaced with the flexible type?

I'd appreciate any advice, even if it's the right type of trade’s person to contact.

Thanks.
Attachments
226000_225649_87891_44846898.jpg

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Floor Tile Grout with out Damaging Underfloor Heating

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:35 am

Hi

As you suggest, this is going to be quite a tricky task and great care is going to need to be taken to avoid any damage to the UFH system.

In light of this no heavy power tools should be used so the best item to use should probably be a small electric grout remover or a Dremel tool with the appropriate attachment. This should allow you the level of control to ensure that you only go down to the depth of the tile.

Another useful tool to use would be a grout rake: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... rakes.html as this is a hand operated tool this will allow you a greater level of control if needed

Once the grout has been removed using then above method(s) then you can refill using a more flexible grout

I hope that the above helps, I guess the key here is just to take your time and not rush

Kind Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:01 pm