Replacing Inline Extractor Fan Plus Light With Ceiling Fan Only
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnplawlor
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Inline Extractor Fan Plus Light With Ceiling Fan Only

by johnplawlor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:33 pm

YES-1.jpg

Hi there, first time post. Thanks for any help you can give.

My inline bathroom extractor fan is dead. It was one of these that came with a light: http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-in-li ... 00mm/41379.

I've replaced it with a regular ceiling mounted extractor fan without a light, with a timer and hydrostat. One of these: http://www.manrose.com/specifications/Quiet_Fan.pdf

I've wired the new fan using the Neutral (grey), but switching the Switched Live (Black) and Permanent Live (Brown) cables from the old fan.

The replacement extractor fan is working as designed...but in reverse. It turns off via the timer, when the light is on. When the light is turned off, it remains on continuously. It should be working the other way around.

It should be on continuously when the light is on ie your having a shower etc and it should turn off using the timer, when the light is switched off.

Right now it's working the other way around.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Has anyone had success replacing an in-line fan and light with a ceiling fan only? I'm beat!

YES-1.jpg

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Replacing Inline Extractor Fan Plus Light With Ceiling Fan Only

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Johnplawlor

First of all you must proceed with Extreme Caution , as you have not given us information about the bare 3 core cable , which has exposed copper ends.
We dont know if this cable is a shock risk and the ends are live.
If this cable is not required , the supply must be isolated and the bare ends put separately terminal blocks.
THE bare earth should be sleeved with earth sleeving an placed in a separate block.
As for the cable you have connected , if the black ( should be tagged brown ) is your switch live it should be in the switch terminal side of the block.
The brown IF THAT is permanenly live then that should be in the permanent live of the terminal block.The grey cable if neutral should be tagged blue
iF you dont have the equipment to test the cable , you must get in an electrician to help you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Inline Extractor Fan Plus Light With Ceiling Fan Only

by kbrownie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm

As above you need to establish what the second three core cable is doing and whether it is required be connected or alternatively made safe.

I know there are no rules concerning live conductors core colours.
But I tend to use the grey as a neutral (and sleeve it blue), then the black as a the switch live (sleeve that brown) and the brown as perm live/timed. I would also strip the CPC (earth) back (sleeve green/yellow) and terminate safely in a connector.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:08 am