All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

Replacing lead piping

by Edpaterson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi

I still have a length of lead piping supplying my cold water and I would like to replace it with copper along with fitting a new stopcock as the supply enters the house. I am fairly confident about soldering the copper piping and joining the new supply into existing copper plumbing. However, I am concerned about joining the copper pipe to the lead pipe, either before or after the stopcock. Can I use a compression coupling for this because I am not confident about trying to solder lead to copper?

Any advice most appreciated

Ed Paterson

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 pm

You really need to remove all lead piping - especially if used for drinking water.

You also MUST use lead free solder when soldering pipes.

http://www.unitedutilities.co.uk/Replacingleadpipes.htm

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 pm

HE is correct. Replace as much lead as possible. Use MDPE. If you must keep the lead use a leadlok to make the copper/lead connection.

Cheers

Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

Lead pipe replacement

by Edpaterson » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi

Thanks to both for the replies. I am aware of the issue surrounding lead in drinking water but for a variety of reasons replacement of all the pipework back to the supply is not feasible. I am looking at replacing as much as possible within my house. I have located a website advertising leadlok compression fittings - all I need to do now is decide whether my lead pipe is 5lb, 7lb or 9lb!

You may wonder - why not get a plumber? I have contacted around 10 companies in Aberdeen, 3 have come to look at the job but only one has estimated - a very high estimate by my reckoning. I do wonder whether increasing regulation takes into account the difficulties of finding suitably qualified tradesmen!

Thanks again

Ed Paterson

andy.whit
Labourer
Labourer

by andy.whit » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi

Have you had a price of youl local water authority ,shame your not closer as i've been replacing lead water pipes for 14years and fix underground leaks and charge a lot less than the the water companies !!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:13 pm