Replacing Light Fitting and switch...
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MarkButler1981
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Light Fitting and switch...

by MarkButler1981 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:00 pm

I have recently bought a house and decided to change all the light fittings, with the majority of them being painless... However, my study is causing problems with wiring that appears different to other parts of the house (however, it was working when I moved in). Stupidly I did not note the wire configuration and am now struggling to get the new light fitting working. I would be grateful of any assistance. I will describe what I see...

From the roof there are two grey wires each with their own set of wires. One has a yellow wire, a red wire and a blue wire, whilst the other has red, black and a green yellow (the insulation shielding 2 copper wires). I am unsure as to how these are to be wire within the new light fitting. The ceiling rose I am attempting to connect these two has terminals labelled N (two free with the third being occupied by the lights blue wire) a loop terminal (3 spaces all currently empty) and a Line terminal (1 space with a second occupied by the lights brown wire).

Further on changing the switch I noticed that there was the same wires there (2 red, a black, a blue, a yellow, and a green/yellow wire). This was wired as follows: the two red are attached to the COM terminal, the yellow wire to the 1 terminal, the 2 terminal is empty, the black and blue wires are connected together via a connector box, and the yellow/green wire also has its separate terminal box.

If anybody assist me on how to connect the new celing rose it would be much appreciated. Numerous attempts have so far failed.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 pm

See the projects on replacing a light fitting and lights and switches. This shows diagrams of wiring for two way switches and three way switches. You should be able to work out the wiring from these projects.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:34 am