Replacing Mains Recessed Lights with Ikea Ceiling Fittings
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grahamworton
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Mains Recessed Lights with Ikea Ceiling Fittings

by grahamworton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:12 pm

We needed more light and decided to replace four recessed mains lights with four Ikea double light ceiling fixtures. T make sure we liked them I replaced only one of the recesses lights with the Ikea fitting, wiring it identically to the recessed fitting (two reds into L and two blacks into N). The Ikea light worked but the other three recessed lights did not. I removed the Ikea fitting and connected the two blacks and the two reds and the other three lights worked again. Help please??

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Mains Recessed Lights with Ikea Ceiling Fittings

by ericmark » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 pm

I can only guess please remember this.

But first guess is that they are extra low voltage lamps and you have exceeded the output of the supply device which has as a result closed down.

If that is the case then may be LED lights would help.

Today there are that many lamps with different voltages and some AC and some DC some constant voltage and some constant current it's a mine field.

I now will not use extra low voltage lamps. In my house all but 4 are now low voltage (230 vac) the 4 extra low voltage (12 vac) are actually no longer working after an attempt to swap to LED and the LED bulbs did not like the ac supply.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:36 am