DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Replacing/Moving A Consumer Unit

Postby Morrissey » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:13 pm

I have been asked to replace a Old fusebox for a new consumer unit. It is positioned about knee high in the kitchen under a work surface. Unfortunately the kitchen has been extended so instead of it being on an outside wall its now in the middle of the kitchen, to the side of an arch leading to the extended section.
Under the regs the CU should be out of reach of children so in theory it needs to be moved from the position its in now. If I was to put the new CU higher up it would look ok but I will still have the the head, meter etc at knee height and also how would I get the tails upto the new CU - buried in plaster?
If I put the new CU in the place it is now, would building a lockable cupboard around it not satisfy the regulations?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:11 am

I see your problem, I think is some areas there is a maximum length of tails. And what size it the supply cable? Some old houses only have 6mm and the last one I was involved with was a night mare with no earth and undersized feeds which then required new feed with was to outside wall so first I would do a good inspection and test as once started very hard to get extra money for extra work involved. I would expect you will be better not moving the CU but unless one is in the house and can see with ones own eyes what is involved it would not be good to advise. You may find you can't use singles and running 25mm SWA up the wall is not recommended. I am not sure of my facts can't remember where or when I read or was told there was a maximum length for singles. It may be another one of those gray facts which don't really apply but was a whim of some inspector but with a little luck someone will pick up on this.

Postby 333rocky333 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Just a possibility could the board fit like a ryefeild board with a 100 amp fuse, which is enclosed and sealed. in place of the old meter.
then move the meter and the con unit ,with their special cable that they use, similar to what they do in flats when the meter and boards. are away from the supply.

Or maybe fit a 100a switch fuse after the meter then wire as a sub main, from that to the cu in suitable cable possibly swa, rather than meter tails.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:03 pm

Postby sbelectrical » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:14 pm

hi there to be onest i think you creating a problem that dont exsist,
if the cu is properly fitted and sealed as no little fingers can be pushed through any cable entry the worst a child can do is switch a breaker of and back on.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics