Replacing multi-arm ceiling light with LV halogen fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Buzzer
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing multi-arm ceiling light with LV halogen fitting

by Buzzer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:25 pm

I hope someone can help with my following query. I currently have a 240 volt 5 arm ceiling fitting controlled by a dimmer on a 1-way circuit. The current fitting has 5 live and 5 neutral wires attached from some form of junction box. The new halogen fitting only requires 1 live and 1 neutral for the transformer. Can these 4 extra wires just be terminated into a terminal block and tucked into the ceiling void and then just connect the two wires I need?

Regards,
Jon

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:29 am

Hi Buzzer,
It would be best to disconnect all cables surplus to this light fitting at junction box, rather than terminate and hide.
Best Luck
KB

Buzzer
Labourer
Labourer

by Buzzer » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:59 pm

Thankyou for the reply.
It's just a bit annoying that it means lifting my new carpet and tongue and groove floorboards in the room above! Would the terminal blocks not be allowed under current regs?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:11 am

Hi Buzzer,
As regards to the regs nothing written in stone, but it does mention good workmanship at all times and the need for circuirts to be safely terminated and routed to protect from the potential of electric shock and mechanical damage.
Be safe
Regards
KB

Buzzer
Labourer
Labourer

by Buzzer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm

Luckily, I've just discovered the wires were coming from a broken half of a ceiling rose bodged with tape and shoved up into the ceiling void which wasn't attached to a joist. I have now replaced it with a junction box after much arm and neck ache! Thanks for your replies.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm