Replacing Outdoor Socket With no Conduit Help Needed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Busy_DIY'er
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Outdoor Socket With no Conduit Help Needed

by Busy_DIY'er » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:31 am

Hi,

Grateful for any advice that can be offered on the following:

I'm a DIY'er who is going to replace an outdoor socket.

When I removed the old socket I noticed that no conduit has been used around the electric cable when it was originally installed (20+ years ago) and retrofitting a conduit is not currently possible as the drill hole is too narrow and not in a straight line.

When fitting the replacement socket is it ok to use sealant around the cable where it passes through wall and then through the knockout on the back of the new socket casing?

I have purchased the following sealant but not sure if this will damage the cable: https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 10ml/7876d

If it is ok to use this sealant, is it a problem if the sealant comes into contact with the wiring? The flexible cable currently surrounding the wires was cut quite short when originally installed so the wires (earth, live, neutral) don't have much protection (other than their individual sleeves) outside of the pre-drilled hole in the wall.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Outdoor Socket With no Conduit Help Needed

by plumbbob » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:19 am

Seeing as the socket has worked well for over 20 years it would seem that water egress is unlikely to be a problem with the new socket.

Using the sealant you've bought, make a horseshoe shape around the cable (opening at bottom) to prevent water getting between the socket and wall, and entering the fitting.

No problem if the sealant gets on the cable.

Busy_DIY'er
Labourer
Labourer

by Busy_DIY'er » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:33 am

plumbbob wrote:Seeing as the socket has worked well for over 20 years it would seem that water egress is unlikely to be a problem with the new socket.

Using the sealant you've bought, make a horseshoe shape around the cable (opening at bottom) to prevent water getting between the socket and wall, and entering the fitting.

No problem if the sealant gets on the cable.

Hi plumbbob,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I'm very grateful.

The sealant I've bought contains solvent I believe (n-butyl acetate), so does this make any difference as to its usability with electrical wires?

I just want to make sure I'm not going to inadvertently coat the cable/wires in something that may cause corrosion...

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Your welcome.

That stuff is not going to harm cables. It's recommended for use on plastics anyway.

The idea is not to get the sealant on the cable anyway, but to seal between the box and wall to prevent the slim chance water getting into the socket via the k/o.

Busy_DIY'er
Labourer
Labourer

by Busy_DIY'er » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:33 pm

Awesome thanks so much for your advice here plumbbob, very much appreciated.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am