Replacing radiator - Water direction?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sipickles
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing radiator - Water direction?

Post by sipickles » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi,

After renovating our downstairs toilet, I bought a new radiator.

Its exactly the same size as the old rad, so no plumbing needed. However, the instructions expressly state that the water flow must be the right way through the rad.

I've no idea which way it flows. I have two pipes coming from the ceiling (the boiler is upstairs), which are presently terminating in turned off lockshield valves.

How can I deduce which is flow and return?

Thanks

Simon

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Normally there is a valve on one side of the radiator, and a lock shield on the other. The valve is often the flow.

If you cannot trace the pipes, the only way is to feel which pipe feeding the rad gets hot first when the boiler is first put on.

sipickles
Labourer
Labourer

Post by sipickles » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, the previous owner had lockshields on both sides.

I tried putting on the heating but this rad must be on a spur since both pipes remain cold, even when all others are hot. I guess I will be able to tell when the rad is fitted, but its a nice one and I don't want to put the brackets on the wrong side.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:59 pm

Are you fitting TRV's ? some TRV's instructions state which way they should be fitted. But you can buy TRV's that can be fitted to either side of the radiator.

Does the instructions say why you need to know which is the flow and return ? A normal radiator or towel it doesn't matter.

If the radiator is not fitted, then the tails will not heat up.
Fit the radiator, if it's the wrong way round, all you have to do is swap the rad valves round - I think the instructions will just be referring to the TRV's, nothing to do with the radiator itself.

Htg

sipickles
Labourer
Labourer

Post by sipickles » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 pm

Maybe its because its a column radiator. The instructions say:

[quote][u][b]VERY IMPORTANT[/b][/u]
[b]PLEASE NOTE: WHEN CONNECTING THE PIPEWORK TO THE RADIATOR, [/b]THE WATER[b][u] MUST[/u][/b] ENTER THE RADIATOR AT THE BOTTOM CORNER [u][b]DIAGONALLY OPPOSITE[/b][/u] THE AIR VENT, AND[b][u] EXIT[/u][/b] AT THE BOTTOM CORNER[u] [b]BELOW[/b] [/u]THE AIR VENT[/quote]

Formatting preserved here!

Well, its a 50/50!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1