Replacing skirting boards after laying laminate flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bazzer
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing skirting boards after laying laminate flooring

by Bazzer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:30 am

I am about to embark upon laminate flooring in our hall. To save seeing an edging strip the skirting boards have been removed. The skirting boards will need to be replaced as the old ones splintered despite my best efforts.

I don't know if this is typical installation, but the old (10cm) skirting boards had 3, 6cm nails driven into every wooden wedge set in the wall set at about every 25cms. The wall where the boards were will need some repair, but this is straighforward.

I have two questions I hope someone can help me with.

Firstly, do the new skirting boards need to be nailed to the wall to this extent or can I fit the replacement skirting boards with an adhesive?

Secondly, will the expansion of the flooring be affected if I lay the new skirting boards flush with the floor to minimise the gap where the skrting board and floor meet?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi Bazzer,

Best solution if wooden wedges still in good condition to use. Is screw rather than nail skirting board, you can glue too or both.
Leave about 5mm gap at each wall when laying laminate for expansion but get skirting as close/flush to layed floor as possible. Fill and sand screw holes, then run some decorators chalk around top of skirting to tidy job up. (Hides gaps between skirt and wall)
Best of luck and hope info helpfull.
KB

Bazzer
Labourer
Labourer

by Bazzer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi KB

The gap I was aware of. My main concern was refitting the skirting and whether I should butt the skirting as close as possible to the flooring.

Many thanks

Bazzer

NimbusII
Tradesman
Tradesman

by NimbusII » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:27 pm

If you mean can the skirting sit on the floor yes it can.. no problem

matanhale
Labourer
Labourer

by matanhale » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi,

I have a similar query to Bazzer - had our living room re-plastered and going to fit laminate floor for the floor covering. We had to have a chemical injection damp proof, so the new plaster starts at approx 4" above the floorboards on the walls with the damp proofing.

I too removed the old skirting (and wedges) and will be replacing with 5½" skirting. My question is will I need to replace the wedges so that the skirting has something to rest against?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 pm