Replacing thermostat on radiator valve
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jbowen5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing thermostat on radiator valve

Post by jbowen5 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:52 pm

I have a standard thermostatic valve on each of my radiators. Not sure of the brand or model and not sure if that matters. The problem is the thermostat on one radiator no longer functions - the radiator stays cold. But when I remove the thermostat from the valve it opens and the radiator heats, so I believe the problem is with the thermostatic mechanism, not the valve itself.

My question is can I buy a new thermostatic valve, take the thermostat off it and put it on the existing valve? I could do this myself, but, quite clearly, to remove and replace the entire valve is a much bigger job that I wouldn't want to undertake myself as it would open up and potentially drain the entire system. What I don't know is whether all thermostatic controls are the same. It looks like they all have the same attachment mechanism/threads. Do I have to determine the brand/model of my valve and get the exact replacement for that, or will the thermostatic control off any valve do the job?

Thanks. Any advice greatly appreciated!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing thermostat on radiator valve

Post by plumbbob » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 pm

The thermostatic head unfortunately is different for each make/model of valve so to replace simply the thermostatic part you will have to identify the exact model.

Try searching the web for suppliers and you might be able to find the exact model. Many brand types are still available but you may find it more difficult if they are a budget model.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1