Replacing two very tall, deep windows with French doors
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

ajazztune
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing two very tall, deep windows with French doors

by ajazztune » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:41 pm

Hello! Currently renovating our forever home in Scotland. We are relocating the kitchen from a dark north facing old extension to a bedroom on the south garden side, which we’ve knocked through to the dining room aswell. The bedroom which will become the kitchen has two very large very old windows which we want to change to doors to give direct access to the garden. Structural engineer has been and confirmed steel beam required for architect specified French doors and side panels and a fanlight. I’m wondering if there is another way to do it as this seems like a big expensive job to me. I don’t want doors the same height as the window necessarily as we’ll have skylights as well. It’s really just for access. Am I missing an obvious solution? Had thought to maybe change one window only but I wonder if we’d regret not going for the full wall as we really don’t like the windows size or shape. Image won’t attach unfortunately as says file too big. TIA

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:52 am