Replacing Vent Axia Bathroom Extractor Fan for new - Help Needed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
j0n35y

Replacing Vent Axia Bathroom Extractor Fan for new - Help Needed

by j0n35y » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi, been asked by my mum to fit a new extractor fan in her bathroom as the old one a Vent Axia is too noisy. Its set up to come on with the lights and has a separate switch outside the bathroom.

The wiring is as follows, 1 yellow cable going into the live and 2 blue cables going into the neutral, no earth connected.

I went into the loft to have a look and there is 2 cables running to the fan and as you can see in the pic the 2 red are connected together and the 2 earth are connected together. The other yellow cable is loose.

The new extractor fan is a Xpelair DX100, just wondering if its a straight swap and the original wiring is ok? I had a read up and seems the wiring is the old style before 2006. Also shouldn't the earth be connected? And why is there a spare yellow cable not being used.

Thanks guys

Allan
Attachments
IMG_4812.JPG

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Vent Axia Bathroom Extractor Fan for new - Help Needed

by ericmark » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:43 am

It would seem likely some one has wired it up to have a timer then fitted a fan without a timer hence spare yellow.

Should be easy enough to do straight swap for another fan without run on timer.

j0n35y

by j0n35y » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi thanks for the reply. I tried fitting the new one today without luck. I connected the 2 lives and the 2 neutrals and nothing. I then connected the earth and still nothing. I used my neon on the live connection and it light up so there's power.

Put the old one back on with the single live and 2 neutral and it works.

Am I gonna to have to call an electricain or maybe faulty unit?

Allan

j0n35y

by j0n35y » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi, I think I may have worked it out but would like advice before I attempt it.

Do you think that maybe the yellow cable with the red tape around it is the switched live because the old one only came on with the lights on.

The 2 red cables in a connector block confused me a little but I'm guessing they are the perm lives and should be connected to the L on the new extractor fan.

The 2 blue cables to N as normal and the yellow switched to the T terminal which I think stands for timer.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks

j0n35y

by j0n35y » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:24 pm

Connected up as previously said and all works fine including timer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:26 pm