repointing vs existing bituminastic DPC
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dormermike
Apprentice
Apprentice

repointing vs existing bituminastic DPC

by dormermike » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi There

I'm having the bottom few rows of brickwork in front of two bays repointed, and quite clearly the bituminastic DPC (original, circa 1930's) is visible. The pointing is in very poor condition and is original black mortar variety.

I've had a very good quote for someone to come in and repoint it for me... I asked about the bituminastic DPC and they said it would be fine to rake out to a depth of an inch or so (forget actual depth) and repoint.

Just looking for second opinion on this.. or should I ask them to leave it alone?

Thanks
Mike

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 pm

dormermike,
If the existing mortar is soft and it can be raked out without damaging the DPC then yes it is worth doing. If the mortar is hard raking out will remove some of the DPC and may give you problems with damp.
end

dormermike
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dormermike » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:41 am

stoneyboy wrote:dormermike,
If the existing mortar is soft and it can be raked out without damaging the DPC then yes it is worth doing. If the mortar is hard raking out will remove some of the DPC and may give you problems with damp.
end

Thanks stoneyboy

From what i can tell there doesnt seem to be mortar on the line where the dpc is, just bitumen. I guess the builder will know what he's doing anyway i just like to know for myself :)

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:13 am