Repositioning a ceiling light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
teddyman5
Labourer
Labourer

Repositioning a ceiling light

by teddyman5 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:09 pm

I need to move a ceiling light about 18" because for some reason it is not in the centre of the room.I cannot get access from upstairs as it is newly decorated and has just had a new floor put down.
I am therefore told that all I can do is remove a section of the ceiling between joists.
I am trying to locate the joists and when I 'proddle' with a small screwdriver I seem to go through a thickness of plasterboard to find more plaster, would it be usual for two thicknesses of board to be used?
Also is there a standard distance between joists?
Also , any better advice on moving the light?

Thanks a lot for any help

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Repositioning a ceiling light

by rosebery » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:09 pm

[quote="teddyman5"]I need to move a ceiling light about 18" because for some reason it is not in the centre of the room.[/quote]Not being funny but it seems a lot of trouble for 18".

[quote]I cannot get access from upstairs as it is newly decorated and has just had a new floor put down.[/quote]Oh dear. Of what is the new floor made?

[quote]I am therefore told that all I can do is remove a section of the ceiling between joists.[/quote]Probably.

[quote]I am trying to locate the joists and when I 'proddle' with a small screwdriver I seem to go through a thickness of plasterboard to find more plaster, would it be usual for two thicknesses of board to be used?[/quote]Probably because the ceiling was overboarded by plasterboard and then skimmed. Taking an old ceiling down is a horrible, filthy, messy job and most plasters prefer just to board over and skim.[/quote]

[quote]Also is there a standard distance between joists?[/quote]Never in my experience although you'll probably find they are on 12 to 15 inche centres.

[quote]Also , any better advice on moving the light?[/quote]Leave it where it is??

[quote]Thanks a lot for any help[/quote]I don't think I've really been that much help.

Cheers

@ TheDoctor

Why doesn't the quote function (or indeed any of them) work on this board??

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi,
there may be 2 thicknesses of board in a new property for sound proofing or in older ones it may have been lathe & plaster which has cracked & been boarded over. If the latter it will make it more difficult to cut 'trap'.
Joists used to be on 16" centres so 3 X 16" made a standard 48" (4') board fit nicely, modern ones are on 400mm centres to fit 1200mm wide boards, not sure when changeover but was around early 1970's i think,
A battery operated stud /nail finder might help, if you do go ahead be sure to use enclosed joint box or 'choc-box' around connectors, not just taped & pushed into ceiling void, regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:03 pm