Restoring original terraced house layout
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jimmyfivebellies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Restoring original terraced house layout

by jimmyfivebellies » Sat May 16, 2009 6:59 pm

I live in a small terraced house which has had its layout changed over the years. On the ground floor a brick wall has been removed to make the lounge more open plan. It would have supported a brick wall on the floor above which obviously had to be replaced with a plasterboard partition wall. I suspect part of the reason for doing this was to provide the bricks for a rear kitchen extension in 1972. There have also been bricks removed from a few other random places (above and below a first floor window, a layer of bricks removed from a stretch of kitchen wall). When all this work was done, the floor on the ground floor, which would have been floorboards, was replaced with concrete. I would like to restore the majority of the house to its original layout, putting back in the walls in the place they were to begin with, and building them with brick if that it was that they were originally made of. I would also like to put the bricks back in the other places from which they have been removed. Is this feasible (in terms of expense, difficulty etc?)

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun May 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Whilst your desire to return it to "original" is laudable you'll not see the bricks once back in place as you'll almost certainly be plastering over. It would be rash to try and remove the RSJ and you'll have to cover that as well.

Frankly I'd be using a plasterboarded and skimmed stud wall. A lot cheaper too!

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:23 am