Reversing window handle
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MishMich
Labourer
Labourer

Reversing window handle

by MishMich » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:00 am

I have just replaced the Espag handles on my uPVC windows (some of the original ones locked when pressed, which was a pain to remember, as I instinctively go to press to open - and having one key for all them mean going to fetch the key to unlock them). Now most of the handles are the same, and use the same key, including the two cockspur handles I replaced. The type of Espag handles I got are suitable as left and right handed (unlike the cockspurs), but in the process of fitting I noticed that the way the original handles were set up, the mechanism only allows the window to open LH or RH (the mechanism only allows a 90 degree rotation from closed to open and back again). This would be fine if they were all set up to open right-handedly (the most comfortable way for me) - but on a couple of pairs of windows the LHS window opens LH, the RHS opens RH, and on another couple of pairs the LHS window opens RH and the RHS opens LH - this bugs me, as I am a bit obsessive about this kind of thing.

Anybody know how to reverse the locking mechanism in the frame? Does it mean taking the frame apart? If so I'll have to live with it I guess.

Thanks,

M

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Is the locking mech just moving two rollers over to one side as you turn the handle ? If it does then just move the keeps on the frame to the other side of the rollers so its locking in reverse.most keeps are universal double sided. A 5 minute job with a screwdriver. :D

MishMich
Labourer
Labourer

by MishMich » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi Allan,

yes, thanks. I slept on the problem, tried reversing the espag mechanism - nothing changed, then I looked at one that was already installed RH opening, and realised that the keeps were on the opposite side of the the one that opened LH, and moved them. It did take me longer than 5 mins, and needed a drill with a metal bit, but I am a novice - the last one was much quicker. I am glad I was doing the right thing, thanks, as I was worried I might damage the frame. I sealed the old holes with some sealant. I am not sure how the guy who fixed the newer window under warranty switched that one around, as the keep itself only works one way - but that is a mystery I will not have to concern myself with.

I have replaced most of the handles now (still awaiting three more as these had different length spindles to the others). Two of these were cockspur. I fitted two small supplementary window locks to the rather large window with the cockspur locks, and have installed one set of hinge security brackets (awaiting seven more sets in the post for all the older downstairs windows). It is eye opening how much of this is do-able, and how inexpensive the basic materials are (compared to what some companies charge). I had trouble finding a matching trickle-vent to replace the grubby old thing that had been painted over in the kitchen - but one of those is in the post now. One thing that surprised me was that all the keys of the new handles (including the cockspurs) are all the same, and the same as the ones installed last year by a double-glazing firm. Handy having only one key to worry about.

M

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:16 pm

By screwdriver i did mean drill driver, i forget as i use it all the time as a screwdriver. A lot of upvc stuff is fixed with self drilling screws but not always, hence the reson you needed a pilot hole.well all sorted then,well done.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:07 am