DIY Doctor

Rewire a garage

Postby ianmcm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:55 am

Just got round to looking at the electrics in my garage.
I understand that any one reading this will be giving me advice from what I describe here. I am not a electrician and really wish to know were and what my problems are before I get an electrician to take all my money to fix the problems

1. My garage (9ftx16ft) is about 7' away from the house it has an electric cable coming in from the upstairs of the house which after pulling fuses from the mains fuse box, seems to be the upstairs light ring. This supply is then running a fluorescent light and a socket and an oil boiler. I KNOW, My brain is saying Danger!!!!!!!!
So my questions
What would an electrician do?
I would like to have a supply for
1/ the boiler, on it says`230v-50hz/0.1156kw is the demand of electric it needs?
2/ a washing machine `a` rated
3/ tumble drier
4/ small freezer
5/ TV/ radio
6/ game console
And a outside socket for gardening tools
(Not all running at same time, but im trying to give the idea of demand)
And 3 fluorescent lights
The closest ring would be the kitchen
Then the living room
The mains circuit board has a 240 v 20 amps spare?
Could this be used to run an armoured cable to for just the socket demand or both.
Could I still use the danger wiring for the lighting?
Would I be able to run the cables myself and get an electrician to connect and test the wiring?

Is this a major job ? Would any one like to help me out? In advising me what to do and how to do it. I think it would be a good thing to learn with some help

Thank you

I appreciate all your help and advice if you have any,
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:29 pm

First I’ll look at load. Washing machine and tumble dryer are main items can really forget the rest so looking at 25 amp minimum feed. This is really two much to take from a ring main so looking to direct feed from consumer unit in SWA min size is 2.5mm² at 7 foot unlikely to have problems with volt drop or earth loop impedance but I would tend to go up at least one size and 4mm² seems reasonable. I would consider having the tumble drier and washing machine separated from freezer and boiler as you would not want a fault on former knocking out latter so would say three circuits the washing machine and tumble dryer on ring main the rest can be on radials since you need 25 amp for washing machine and tumble dryer than the circuit breaker in the house needs to be bigger at 32 amp which then does need the 4mm² SWA cable. With this load you would use a consumer unit in garage.
Yes you could use lighting circuit for lights but can’t see why you would want to.
There are some planning points including how to terminate SWA into plastic boxes so I’ll split the job in three.
Inspecting and Testing
If an electrician who is registered under one of the Part P systems does the WHOLE job he can self certify for Part P and give you the building control completion certificate as well as the electrical certificates.
If on the other hand you do some of the work yourself then you will need to inform building controls and submit to them all the required paperwork even if you use a registered electrician.
If you follow project links you will find links to Part P which you can down load. If you are in Scotland there is another system in use sorry I can’t help, never got involved with that.
There are cheap ways, for example a double socket in your garage either RCBO fed or with RCD built in on 2.5mm² SWA cable and leaving lights on old system would reduce cost. Adding to this latter would not come under Part P unless socket fitted outside. As I said planning is a big part of any job. Unplugging a washing machine to used TV may be a small price to pay for reduced cost.
My advise is down load Part P and read it through lightly once. Then get a quote and ask for advise from person on site always better than where we are guessing on what you need.
But don't hesitate on asking more questions. Do remember new regulations come into force on 1st July 2008 these may mean you would need to fit a new consumer unit in your house after that date.
This can also open up other options and since it is for your safety you may want to go by new rules anyway again planning.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics