rewiring a kithchen light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
char
Labourer
Labourer

rewiring a kithchen light

by char » Sun May 04, 2008 12:39 pm

someone please help! i am trying to fit a new light fitting in my kitchen but there are 4 black wires 4 red wires and 4 green/yellow wires. i have tried a number of combinations but, lights in other rooms wont work. nothing works. you cant switch the kitchen light on at all, or the kitchen light stays on and can only be turned off at main board. but in all cases you cant turn kithchen light on or off by light switch! :? :? :?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun May 04, 2008 8:30 pm

See projects. Normal power in, power out, Switch wire. In your case likely second power out or strapper between two lights off same switch.
Careful not to get return for switch and neutrals mixed up. Often both same colour but sleeve on switch wire so easy to fall off. Both feeds to local lamp normally same colour both line and neutral. Except for sleeve on line. All red/brown wires normally connect together but not to local light.

char
Labourer
Labourer

by char » Sun May 04, 2008 8:50 pm

thank you for your reply. the sleeve has come off the wire you mentioned. how would i work out which one it is? should i just call a spark in? :lol:

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon May 05, 2008 4:32 am

We would normally use a meter to identify the switch wire. By connecting all but blacks you can then try two at a time to the lamp putting the other two in suitable chock block so they are apart from each other and you can find neutral and switch but you will not know which is which. You can then on a temporary basis replace each one of the blacks with a connection to the reds one it will work all the time with that will be neutral and should go with other blacks the one it did not work with using temp reds will be switch. If you can follow this OK other wise you need an electrician who will use a meter.

char
Labourer
Labourer

by char » Mon May 05, 2008 6:41 pm

thanks for your reply and help but i think the safest thing to do is to get a spark to have a look! im sure you agree

joeslad
Labourer
Labourer

by joeslad » Mon May 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi. I understand your questions and yea think you would be better getting a electrician.It isnt easy explaining things via text.
Regards.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue May 06, 2008 8:22 am

If your not sure get an electrician yes. It is so easy with a meter.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm