rewiring ceiling light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Radon
Labourer
Labourer

rewiring ceiling light

Post by Radon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi there,

I've just bought a new ceiling light for my lounge. It's one of those fancy ones from Next with a metal bar with four individual bulbs attached. My problem is this - I've wired it all up, and the light just stays on permanently! The switch appears to be completely useless. There are four wires coming out of the ceiling - 2 red, 1 black, and 1 black with a red sheath. I've basically attached one of the reds and one of the blacks to a small junction box and then used extension wire to attach them to the relevant live and neutral terminals on the new fitting. The earth just goes directly into the earth terminal. I can't for the life of me figure out why it won't switch off!! Any clues?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:57 am

Go to the lights and switches project on the website plus the how to wire a ceiling light. All the answers are there for you.

hedleyrowlands
Labourer
Labourer

Post by hedleyrowlands » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi there

I have exactly the same problem (without junction box) - see my post this afternoon. Although I'm not sure we have wired them up in the same manner.

I have just posted another question to see if someone can help. I have found the project page doesn't cater for the end of a loop - which I believe we have here. The light won't go off if I wire it according to various instructions and opinion.

Cheers - sorry to not actually be able to help you!

Hedley

Gloucester Sparky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gloucester Sparky » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:41 pm

OK,
Connect the two reds together (Safely)
Black goes to neutral terminal on light fitting
Black with red tag goes to live terminal on light fitting
And don’t forget the earth

hedleyrowlands
Labourer
Labourer

Post by hedleyrowlands » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi Gloucester Sparky

The way you have described it is exactly how I have wired my ceiling light and the thing won't switch off. I'm baffled. Do you think it is the switch - how should I check the switch? Note the light fitting doesn't have an earth terminal (plastic casing), so presumably I just insulate the earth coming out of the ceiling?

Hedley

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:24 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 pm