Rewiring my house
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
whitehead
Labourer
Labourer

Rewiring my house

by whitehead » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:15 pm

I have recently bought a house that needs to be rewired.

i am hoping that i can do this myself to save costs and also for the experince.

I was wondering what i need to do before, during and after i have finshed this project?

thanks

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:27 am

The first thing you need to do is look at our project on Part P of the building regulations, there is only a certain amount you are allowed to do by law.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:24 am

If you have found the projects page and decide to carry on yourself then you MUST notify your local councils building control department (can be done online most places)BEFORE starting work, they will charge an upfront fee varies between £80-£180ish
you then carry out first fix IE wiring/chasing fit back boxes, you notify them at this point & someone comes and checks your cable runs comply, boxes correctly grommeted etc, signs a sheet of paper you then carry on to the end when a second visit confirms your wiring connections earth bonding cross bonding etc, THEY DON'T usually carry out electrical tests or certify work to regs.
this is your responsibility, & will be reqd. if you ever want to sell, It will cost you more than you save by not getting qualified leckie in who can do all work own tests and no fee to L.A.
SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm