rewiring US fixtures to UK standards
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mtb
Apprentice
Apprentice

rewiring US fixtures to UK standards

Post by mtb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to rewire, for example, a US wall-mounted down light (110V) to UK standards and how much such an exercise might cost? Thank you.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Colours are different to ours think white and black and I don't think I would want to try and rewire any lamp for what they cost hardly worth it. It would most likely work OK but I know I have had to condemn many US 110 volt items as not suitable for our system.

mtb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mtb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks, it's what I suspected, unfortunately. The problem is that I can't find a lamp I like aesthetically, while there are a couple I just love back in the US :-(

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:44 pm

Depending on the lamps construction you could remove the US wires and install UK ones, or get someone competent to do it for you if you weren't happy doing it yourself.

mtb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mtb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Definitely don't feel competent with electrics. My electrician does not want to do it. Is it really such a big deal? Should I just keep asking different electricians until someone says ok, or rather go for an antique restorer (which will inevitably be pricey).

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Don't go to an antiques restorer he will not be able to do this legally for the same reason you cannot legally sell second hand electrical equipment at a boot-fair.
If the wiring is in reasonably condition ie not coroded, & just has blk/wht. colours then why not over sleeve them brn/blu. and if fitting is metal then ensure an earth wire is connected effectively to the metalwork and of course to the circuits earth.
As you will be running the light[s] at half original current wires will be large enough and a simple IR test will confirm quality of insulation, am I missing something here as I can't see a problem??
regards SPARX

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:13 am