RICS Homebuyers Survey and Leaking Concrete Gutters, Cavity Insulation, Damp Interior
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

mrgreen1234
Labourer
Labourer

RICS Homebuyers Survey and Leaking Concrete Gutters, Cavity Insulation, Damp Interior

by mrgreen1234 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Advice needed please.

My partner and I are in the process of buying a 1960s semi detached house, with 3 sides of concrete guttering.
We have had a home buyers survey and the surveyour found that there was high moisture readings within the internal walls.
The cavities have been filled with insulation (I think loose fill white insulation, rock wool or beads)

The surveyour has suggested that the cavity insulation be sucked back out and new guttering installed. They have commented that the cavities may have some corrosion. There are a couple vertical lines in the render in places.

My question is how long will the cavities take to dry out and what is happening to the water that is dripping/collecting at the bottom of the cavity? If it's just sat there could this cause rising damp?

A worst case scenario answer would also be hugely appreciated.

We plan to cost in these extra works and re-negotiate the price.

Massive thanks in advance

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:04 pm