Ring Doorbell Pro Fresh Install
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bob_e70
Labourer
Labourer

Ring Doorbell Pro Fresh Install

Post by bob_e70 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:23 pm

I am looking to install the Ring Doorbell Pro to my property that currently has no hard wired doorbell.

The easiest route for running cable seems to be from the lighting circuit in the loft, down the cavity, to my front door.

I believe i need 18 gauge cable for the doorbell to the transformer, but i'm assuming i cannot use that same 18 gauge between the light switch to the transformer?

If not, what cable should i be using from the switch to the transformer?

Other than the cable, i'm assuming that everything else i am doing is an acceptable electrical process.

Any advice greatly recieved!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Ring Doorbell Pro Fresh Install

Post by Mr White » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:16 pm

This is a UK based forum what country are you in?

bob_e70
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bob_e70 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm in the UK

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:05 pm

oh. It is just that we do not refer to electric cable by its gauge.

I am also not sure what you mean when you say:
bob_e70 wrote:........... but i'm assuming i cannot use that same 18 gauge between the light switch to the transformer?

I do not see what a light switch has to do with it.

What you should do is.

Run a 1.5mm Twin and earth cable from the light fitting (Assuming it is wired the conventional way, with L N & E at the ceiling rose) to your doorbell transformer* then use "bell cable" from the transformer to the ring doorbell.

You should NOT use mains cable for your door bell as not only will it be too big to fit, someone will connect it to the mains one day.

There really is a cable called bell cable (It's used primarily for ........doorbells, and often for loud speakers, you can also use telephone cable if you have, but NOT mains)

* Ring suggest a 24v (a.c.) Transformer. Most UK doorbell transformers are 8-12v (But if you buy the complete ring doorbell kit you get a 24v transformer)

You can also buy a "wall wart" that will run a ring doorbell, so if you have a socket near the front door, it may be a better option for you. (Since all you do is plug it in.)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am