Ring main from 30A cooker feed!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rcxkid
Labourer
Labourer

Ring main from 30A cooker feed!

Post by rcxkid » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:53 am

My mom is having a new kitchen fitted and I located suitable sockets from which the ring main can be extended. However, I have since found the ring has been created from what looks to be the original 30A cooker point, so there is only a single (correctly rated) cable running back to the CU. There are only 3 double sockets on the ring as far as I can tell.

Is this normal practice?

Thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi rcxkid,
the purists might get all upset by this because it's not a 'standard circuit arrangement' but I have done exactly that a couple of places where to run a new circuit back to the mains is not an option.
Look at it as a 'sub-main' in 4/6mm2 backed by a correctly rated 30/32A protective device (CB/Fuse) such as you might run to a garage cons. unit. With a 32A ring from there, then as long as loop impedance tests at furthest point are low enough, disconnection times will be met and in fact you don't need 2 protective devices in series so replace cons. unit with an ACCESSIBLE 30A junction box as you have there. Any qualified electrician is at liberty to design any circuit they like as long as they can back it up with test results to confirm their calcs. were correct.
Don't forget to get test certs from whichever 'Part-P' leckie extends the kitchen circuit and look out for the LABC registration form within a few weeks of finish of job. No certs = No sale! later,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:10 pm