ring main
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
duckhead
Labourer
Labourer

ring main

by duckhead » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 pm

While installing a flush mounted telephone extension I accidentally nicked the 2.5 ring main cable, not enough to active the RSB but enough to expose the live wire so I decide to resolved the matter quickly by cutting out a 16 MM deep box which I had available, inserting a 15amp connector strp and covering with a blank MK plate. Is this a permanent solution nto my repair?

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:10 pm

that sounds ok, as long as the repair is accessable for maintainance as I think you are talking about the screw type choccie blocks. I would wrap them in 3 layers of insulating tape as well, I have had a fizz off blocks before, even though they are supposed to be insulated, and a loose cable could theoretically find its was into the wrong opening if soemthing came adfrift. What you can't do, which you avoided the temptation of doing, is choccie block it, then plaster over the top, so 10/10 for that!!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:13 pm

As moggy said a fine repair.
Only thing I would add is, was the blnak a plastic or metal plate?
If metal blank plate is being used a cpc (earth) contact to the back box would be recomended.
KB

duckhead
Labourer
Labourer

Ring Main

by duckhead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:21 pm

[quote="moggy1968"]that sounds ok, as long as the repair is accessable for maintainance as I think you are talking about the screw type choccie blocks. I would wrap them in 3 layers of insulating tape as well, I have had a fizz off blocks before, even though they are supposed to be insulated, and a loose cable could theoretically find its was into the wrong opening if soemthing came adfrift. What you can't do, which you avoided the temptation of doing, is choccie block it, then plaster over the top, so 10/10 for that!![/quote] Thanks Moggy 1968 You have put my mind at at rest it was just the size of the connector that was a serious worry I thought may be I should have use 30amps I will take your advice though and use some insulating tape many thanks - duckhead[/list][/code][/quote]

duckhead
Labourer
Labourer

by duckhead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks Moggy 1968 you have put my mind at rest, my biggest worry was whether I had used the correct sized connector a 30 amp as apossed to a 15 amp which I have used-all the work is accessable I will now take your advise and insulate the connectors many thanks -duckhead

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:30 am