Rising damp- 9 years after damp proofing
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohnnyM
Labourer
Labourer

Rising damp- 9 years after damp proofing

by JohnnyM » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:41 am

Hi all, first post, apologies for its length.

My partner and I are expecting our first child, and have been redecorating the house in preparation. We left the living room till last as it was a simple wallpaper strip, maybe skim and paint job. However when the wallpaper has come off, there’s clearly rising damp on almost every wall downstairs.

My partner bought the house 9 years ago, and the survey showed that there was damp. As part of the purchase, the estate agent provided a damp proofer, who carried out the work. My partner paid him, and still has the receipt, showing a 30 year guarantee (and the cost was then knocked off her mortgage)

The damp now is in the exact places that this bloke is supposed to have treated. She says he was an old boy 9 years ago when the work was done, and a quick google search shows the company as “permanently closed”

The Mrs is now 8 months pregnant so this is an unwelcome surprise, I doubt we can afford the work that needs doing without borrowing.

Have we got any recourse here? How can it be right that a bloke in his 60s is giving out 30 year guarantees on his work (looks like a one man company), or the estate agents providing work that clearly hasn’t been done right

Thanks in advance

Johnny

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rising damp- 9 years after damp proofing

by stoneyboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:22 pm

Hi johnnym
When damp-proofing is done as a condition of the mortgage, a guarantee by a third party insurance company is usually required. Have a look through the paperwork and see if there is one - it may be held by the mortgage provider.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:15 am