DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Rising Damp and Air bricks

Postby luash » Sat May 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Can anyone help me please...?
We moved in an end terrace built in 1876 a year and half ago that previous to us moving in must have had every botch job known to man on it... We noticed when we moved our washin machine 6 months ago that there was a black patch on outside wall in the corner of the kitchen, then realised when we took the kitchen cupboards out to havea new floor put in that this extended all along the wall (the preious owners had a new kitchen installed over the top of the damp knowing it was there). The cupboards smell badly of damp now too. We've noticed the other end terrace which is actually next door to us has had a DPC and air bricks installed where as ours obviously doesn't. We're considering doing the DPC ourselves due to the cost involved and I wanted to know if it was advisable to do this, and if it is what is best to use and whether we should have air bricks installed also? Do we need to remove the infected plaster on this inside or can we use anti mould paint and should we hire a dehumidifier to dry the room out? Thanks a lot!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:22 pm


Simply Build It

Postby simonwar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:18 am

Pay for an £80 survey, (you may need to shop around a bit).

I know you don't want to - blah bah, dead money , etc, but trust me, you get this guy who comes around your house and if he has no intention of selling you repair work and is simply a surveyor - make sure of this.

He is worth his weight in gold.

But, you MUST talk to him and bleed him dry of his knowledge. Most surveyors love a cup of tea a few biccies, pleasant conversation and then when you get them warmed up ask them loads of questions about the problems and what he would do about it.

Usually a surveyor is glad to tell you what he knows in coversation before he compiles his report.

Keep your ears open and you may find you can pick up exactly what is required and do most of the work yourself saving you a lot more than a builder would charge you, and you always have this knowledge for future homes, tell your neigbours, your children etc. That £80 wasn't that bad was it

Worth a thought, S.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:39 am

Postby tucny » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:55 pm

I agree with simon.

Dont try to do it yourself withour being FULLY aware of what to do.

Get a CSRT qualified surveyor. They are trained and qualified to know what should be done and why it should be done. They may charge for the survey, but that is because they know what there on about and they're not tring to make you buy cheimical treatments that may not be needed.

Tell them what you are intending to do also. If your paying for their advice then they will give it to you.

The fact that youve seen mould indicates more of a condensation problem rather than rising damp.

Remember a damp proof course will only offer protection for rising damp only and NOT any other forms of damp. Mould is not usually associated with rising damp. In other words, you may not need a damp proof course as the surveyor should explain.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics