DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Rising damp on internal party wall - treatment options

Postby Duncombe78759 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:18 pm


We've been told that we have rising damp along one of our internal party walls (Victorian terraced house - c.100 years old) - see attached photos taken during recent redecorating.

A few damp specialists have been over and they've all recommended injecting the wall with a DPC paste and getting the affected walls replastered. From what I understand, the DPC paste will block further moisture from rising and the replastering will get rid of contaminated plasterboard which can attract further moisture.

This seems to only stop further moisture from rising, rather than treating the actual source of the issue though - is this typical treatment for rising damp? Are there other options which would more effectively target the actual source of the problem?
Damp 4.jpg
Damp 6.jpg
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:46 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Hi duncombe78759
Forming a DPC by injecting chemicals is the norm.
The success of this method will depend on the integrity of the wall how thick it is and how lucky the operator is in injecting in the right place.
Unless your neighbour has the same process applied to their side of the wall the damp may not be cured.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 4852
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics