DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Rising damp on Victorian end terrace - replacing affected timber and plaster

Postby jayne sanders » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:23 pm

Hello, I have just purchased an victorian end terrace built c 1890. The house had been unoccupied for some time with rising damp indicated in most of the ground floor rooms. This has affected alot of the timber that i plan to replace. I have had a firm to give me a report of the work that needs to be done. This is a whopping £5000!. I have read that injecting chemicals into the wall is just a short term measure and as i am planning to replace the affected timber and plaster i wonder if i need to go ahead with this treatment? I have found that since i have lifted carpets etc the some of the damp has gone! I have also been advised to ashphelt the quarry tiles in the kitchen. Again i have read that by disturbing breathing floors it can make the damp rise further up the walls!!

To summarise my questions are 1) Would replacing timber, plaster and making sure there is adequate drainage and ventilation be enough to get rid of the damp?

2) Should i leave the quarry tiles in the kitchen as they are?

Thank you for your advice

A new and eager to learn first time buyer !!!!!

jayne sanders
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:57 pm


Simply Build It

Postby bananaman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:56 am

rising damp doesn't exist if you believe the reports. test carried out on canal bridges and in tank have found it hard to prove that it happens at all. the damp could just be a result of the house not being lived in. if first floor boards are damp its more likely to be the roof or the down pipes. or just penetrating damp where just repointing and wall coats may solve it. i'm in a similar situation really so i choose to believe that rising damp in brickwork does not exist. we had water coming in through our floor but this was due to a high water table and not cappilary action.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:33 pm

Postby dcmoore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Take a look at any one of our damp projects and ring the phone number for Property Repair Systems. They give free, no obligation advice and we recommend them. They will tell you what you need to do (if anything) and will also be able to supply you with anything you need to do it with but will certainly not try to sell you anything you don't need
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics