Rising Laminate Flooring on Concrete Floor Layed 3 Months ago
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gokeer
Labourer
Labourer

Rising Laminate Flooring on Concrete Floor Layed 3 Months ago

by Gokeer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:50 pm

We laid some laminate flooring with underlay on concrete floor 3mth ago throughout flat. In the lounge we inadvertently left gaps between flooring and wall. To hide gaps we bought profiles from ikea that we nailed in around perimeter of room.
The flooring started rising within 1mth in doorway between lounge and hall. I now can't even close the door.
Surfing today I found several articles saying you should leave gaps between wall and laminates as they expand. So what can I do to rectify? Should I remove the profiles? Someone suggested I lay end profile across the laminate in the doorway, affixing by drilling screws through it into concrete floor. Is that sensible?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rising Laminate Flooring on Concrete Floor Layed 3 Months ago

by welsh brickie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:03 am

remove all the edge profiles, the edge profiles should not be nailed to the floor just the skirting, I would use double sided sticky tape and silicone instead of nails

neil-the-handyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Rising Laminate Flooring on Concrete Floor Layed 3 Months ago

by neil-the-handyman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:31 am

Hi,
The recommended expansion gap would have been stated on the pack (they vary). Has a membrane been fitted beneath the flooring?
The other obvious one is how recently was the concrete floor laid? At least 6 months drying time prior to laying laminate over any green screed otherwise the moisture will be trapped and cause buckling and warping as it tries to escape.
Kind regards,

Neil the Oxford handyman

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:21 am