Risky Business
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AllNancy
Labourer
Labourer

Risky Business

by AllNancy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place as this is about a multi-fuel stove and one radiator.

I had it installed a couple of years ago by a HETAS engineer....sub contractor with one radiator in the other room. First problem was the radiator wasn't heating up so he returned, attached a pump with a cable and a plug.

Later another HETAS engineer called about another problem and asked who installed the fire and pump and said it was dangerous as there was no thermostat and the boiler could have burst.

Called the company and they sent out another engineer who put it all right but also found that the fuse in the plug was the wrong one!

Now I'm in more danger of freezing to death than being scalded or electrocuted as the radiator takes forever to heat up, which makes me wonder if the setting is too high.

What should the ideal temperature be before a pump kicks in?

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:40 am

"What should the ideal temperature be before a pump kicks in?"

To be honest, this question is not important because it will make no difference to the temperature of the rad probably because the output capability of the fire is less than the rad needs to make it warm. As a twist of fate, this is probably good as otherwise you would have been in mortal danger - and I do really mean that!!!!

I think you have been stitched up by the original installer and the radiator will never get warm. I would therefore suggest you seek the advice from a proper qualified heating engineer who is experienced with solid fuel heating to find out exactly what is going on and what should be done as this topic is beyond the scope of a DIY forum because of the safety issues.

Sorry.

AllNancy
Labourer
Labourer

by AllNancy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:50 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]"What should the ideal temperature be before a pump kicks in?"

To be honest, this question is not important because it will make no difference to the temperature of the rad probably because the output capability of the fire is less than the rad needs to make it warm. As a twist of fate, this is probably good as otherwise you would have been in mortal danger - and I do really mean that!!!!

I think you have been stitched up by the original installer and the radiator will never get warm. I would therefore suggest you seek the advice from a proper qualified heating engineer who is experienced with solid fuel heating to find out exactly what is going on and what should be done as this topic is beyond the scope of a DIY forum because of the safety issues.

Sorry.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. The HETAS engineer I sought advice from on another matter said that the house should be like the tropics with the multi-fuel stove I have so I think I might give him a ring. Unlike the other HETAS installer, he seems to know what he's doing.

And yes, for quite a while I was in mortal danger which makes you wonder about the HETAS standards.

Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1